Can’t believe that in just a week I will be with 2,600 incredible brothers and sisters just like you who have devoted their lives to the youth of this generation and helping connect them to the Eternal God. Simply Youth Ministry Conference & Group hold a huge place in my heart as they have been a constant encouragement for me and so many other great friends in ministry. These organizations of ministers have devoted their lives in providing resources, experiences, accountability, and yes sometimes even a crying shoulder for so many of us in ministry.
So are you going SYMC? If not you are going to be missing out for sure this year as we have incredible sessions with Doug Fields, Louie Giglio, Duffy Robbins, Ruth Haley Barton, Rick Lawrence, Michael Novelli, the Skit Guys and so many others, along with outstanding worship from Shane & Shane, Gungor, Tim Timmons.
The break out sessions will be equally incredible, as they touch deep at the heart of so many of our hurts and pains in ministry, helping hurting kids, helping the technologically challenged, finding balance and rhythm, training leaders and so much more.
For those of you going you can download this awesome app for SYMConference to use on your smart phone. You can also use this planner here to have a plan of attack for maximizing your experience at SYMC.
Several friends of mine have been posting some great thoughts about preparing for SYMC. Mark Riddle has a great one here you should check out here, as well as my sister from another mister Steph Caro giving tips each day.
SYMC isn’t your typical youth ministry conference. You are encouraged to not simply be a consumer of all the activities but a participant in them all. This is a conference for youth workers by youth workers just like me and you!
If you are going here are somethings you should know.
- twitter folks, to keep up on all the talk make sure to hashtag everything as #symc
- all you session junkies! there are far to many sessions to get so make sure to spread out if you are with a team. If you aren’t with a team really pray and dedicate yourself to the sessions and talk back sessions that can really help you
- make sure you take this time to rest! This is a time for you to recharge healthily not overindulge yourself.
- Network network network! Each night you can have dinner in the ??? rooms with folks from your network. Also use this time to talk to folks in your sessions or walking around and talk shop, pray with and for one another.
- bring your ‘baggage’! I’ll be talking more about this tomorrow and why. To often we try and leave things behind us when we go to conferences so we aren’t distracted while there. Bring it with you and make sure to check back here tomorrow to hear why!
- above all things remember you are not alone!!! you will be surrounded by 2,600 other die hard youth workers who are in the trenches having successes and failures just like you and your ministry. come ready to be loved on.
These are just a few super simple basic tips for going to SYMC. Check back here tomorrow as I will be sharing with you something that will possibly be your highlight of the entire conference, & no I’m talking about Jake Rutenbar’s new video